GreatAuPair - Where care providers and families click™. Child Care Jobs & Caregivers: Nanny, Babysitter, Au Pair, Pet Sitter, Housekeeping, Tutor, Personal Assistant and Senior Care.

Aupair Visa Sweden - Au Pair Program in Sweden

EU/EEA citizens and their family members no longer need residence permits for staying in Sweden for more than three months. EU/EEA citizens shall instead register their right of residence and family members who are not EU/EEA citizens shall apply for residence cards.

If you are a citizen aged 18-30 of a country which is not a member of the European Union (EU) and wish to work in Sweden you must have a work permit sticker attached to your passport before entering the country. Average processing time for an Aupair Visa is 2-3 months.

Aupair Guidelines in Sweden:

  • Aupairs must be aged 18-30
  • Aupairs provide a maximum of 25 hours a week of childcare and light housework.
  • Aupairs must be accepted to a school attending Swedish Language studies.
  • Families provide both room & board and a monthly stipend of 3,500 SEK before tax. (Approximately $490 US) They also provide a course in the Swedish language aupairs will attend during the remainder of the 40-hour working week.
  • For work shorter than three months, an entry visa may be required, check your country requirements: Click here.

Work Permit Requirements

  • a valid passport.
  • be able to show that you have a distinct interest in or use for Swedish language studies.
  • a certificate of admission to your course of study.
  • a written invitation from your host family in Sweden stating the terms and conditions of your employment as an au pair.

More information on how to apply: Click here.

Note: A previous period spent as an au pair in another country immediately prior to the planned stay in Sweden could reduce the chances of you being granted a permit in Sweden. Prior aupair work could be an indication that you are engaged in regular work as a nanny and not as an au pair.

Official US Government Application Instructions may be obtained at the following link: Click here.

Application by au pair:
Click here

Contact Swedish Embassies: Click here.


There are different rules for university students and other types of study in Sweden. Visa requirements differ, based on your student status, your home country and the time of your stay. Detailed information for studying in Sweden can be found at: Click here.

If you come from a country outside of the EU and are planning study in Sweden for more than three months, you will be required to have a residence permit.

You must also show that you have funds for the whole of the planned study period when you apply for a residence permit. The support requirement is a minimum of SEK 7,300 per month. If you intend to study for one year or more you must show that you can support yourself for 10 months per year.

If you can prove, that you have free accommodation and/or food, this monthly figure can drop. So, if you are studying in Sweden for a full year with accommodation and food provided, you will need to show that you have 43,000 SEK for the 10 months of school (6,775 USD) before your application will be approved.

If approved, you can work on your residence permit. You do not need a work permit.

For more information, see this website: Click here.

Youth Exchange Program and Working Holiday Visa

The Youth Exchange Program and Working Holiday Visa are available for citizens of Australia, South Korea, Canada, and New Zealand and allow you to live and find temporary work in Sweden for up to a year.


  • You must be between the ages of 18 and 30
  • You can only receive a working holiday once
  • Application fee of 1000 SEK (158 USD)
  • You cannot bring any dependent children with you
  • You must have a valid passport
  • You must have a valid health insurance policy (only citizens of New Zealand and South Korea).
  • You must have a return ticket or enough money to buy one
  • You must be able to show that you can support yourself for the first three months of your stay (15,000 KR or 2793 USD)
  • You should turn in your application at least six weeks before you plan to enter Sweden.

You apply at a Swedish embassy or consulate in the country where you live. If you apply for a permit at the Swedish embassy in Canberra, the embassy can grant you a working holiday visa. Otherwise the Swedish Migration Board decides whether you will obtain a working holiday visa.

More info here for citizens of Australia, South Korea, and New Zealand here: Click here.

More info for Canadian Citizens here: Click here.

An application can be found here: Click here.