GreatAuPair - Where care providers and families click™. Child Care Jobs & Caregivers: Nanny, Babysitter, Au Pair, Pet Sitter, Housekeeping, Tutor, Personal Assistant and Senior Care.

Aupair Visa Austria - Au Pair Program in Austria

EFTA and EEA Nationals:

Members of the EFTA and EEA may live and work in Austria. They do not need to apply for a work permit through the AMS. EU and EEA nationals must apply for a residence permit in Austria if they stay for longer then three months.

AuPair Eligibility for Non EEA and EFTA foreign nationals:

Nationals from non-EEA countries including the US, require a work permit and must have their employer apply for the permit and receive their permit before the AuPair departs their home country. Austrian families can submit their Aupair’s Work Permit application through the AMS. The visa is good for 6 months and may be extended for an additional six months.

Aupairs requiring a Residence permit/Visa must apply before leaving their country of origin.

Host Family Requirements:

  • Must apply to the Job Market Service (AMS- Austrian Employment service) at least two weeks prior to the non EU Aupairs arrival.
  • Must provide a written contract. Contract Link:
  • Must prove you have acquired accident and medical insurance for the applicant. 
  • Will have to provide a written list of ALL duties the Aupair will perform.
  • Must provide aupair with their own bedroom and all meals.
  • Provide pocket money of 350 EUROS per month.
  • Must follow labour laws requirement such as vacation pay and illness pay. See: Austria’s House assistant and house employee law (HGHAG)
  • Must pay half the cost of aupair’s language classes.

Aupair Requirements:

  • Must apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) at your local Austrian Embassy or consulate BEFORE traveling to Austria
  • Must be between 18 and 28 years of age
  • Must apply through a registered & authorized employment agency
  • May only Aupair for a maximum of 12 months.
  • Must have some German knowledge and provide proof of such knowledge
  • Must not have resided in Austria for more then a total of one year within the last 5 years
  • Provide up to 20 hours of housework and childcare each week
  • Pay for your own travel
  • Enroll in language classes during your stay in Austria.

Required Documents:

  • Aupair Relations Announcement (AMS FORM)
  • Aupair / Family Contract (AMS Form)
  • Proof of language studies in the Aupair’s country
  • List of Job duties
  • Proof of accident and medical Insurance

Click here for the AMS home page

The labor authorities will issue a confirmation authorizing the employment (Anzeigebestätigung) upon submission of the formal notification request (Anzeige) and a contract of employment (AuPair-Vertrag). Note: The contract will detail general conditions of employment, i.e., for 25 hours of child care per week and some housekeeping duties, au pairs must get lodging, a ATS 800-per-week minimum stipend and some access to educational opportunities.

The Austrian residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) can only be applied for and obtained outside of Austria at an Austrian Embassy or Consulate by submitting proper forms to the labor office confirmation. The permit is valid for a maximum of 12 months and renewal after 6 months is mandatory.

Canadian citizens between the ages of 18 and 30 that are full-time post-secondary students or recent graduates are eligible for the Youth Worker Exchange program called Student Work Abroad Programme (SWAP). They must be full-time post-secondary students or Graduates. Aupairs must pay for their own tickets, must not have a criminal background, and have a working knowledge of German.

More information can be found here: