GreatAuPair - Where care providers and families click™. Child Care Jobs & Caregivers: Nanny, Babysitter, Au Pair, Pet Sitter, Housekeeping, Tutor, Personal Assistant and Senior Care.

Aupair Visa Uk - Au Pair Program in UK

US citizens cannot go to the UK as Au Pairs. However, there is a Youth mobility scheme (Tier 5) that allows young people from participating countries to experience life in the UK.

The countries currently supported in the Youth mobility scheme are:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • Hong Kong
  • Republic of Korea
  • Taiwan

If you are a national from one of the countries listed above, you may be able to visit the UK under the Youth mobility scheme. You will also need to have £1,890 in savings.

You must have an arrival date, and have 30 days from that date to arrive in the UK. If you do not enter in that 30 days, you will have to re-apply for the visa.

Your government will be your sponsor. British overseas citizens, British overseas territories citizens and British nationals (overseas) can also apply under the scheme, and do not need a sponsor. Verify your eligibility for the Youth mobility scheme.

Citizens of Hong Kong, the Republic of Korea and Taiwan are required to get a certificate of sponsorship reference number before you apply. A certificate of sponsorship is a unique reference number that holds information about the job you will do and your personal details. It's not a certificate or paper document. You must then apply for your visa within 3 months of receiving your certificate of sponsorship.

You can't apply if you have:

  • Children who live with you
  • Children you're financially responsible for
  • already been in the UK under the scheme or participated in the former 'working holidaymaker' category

There is also a work study program that will allow you to work as an Au Pair in the UK while you study. If your country is a member of the European Economic Area (EEA), or Switzerland you are allowed to work or study in the UK, which would provide an opportunity to serve as an Au Pair or Nanny in the UK. If you are not from one of these countries, you will need to apply for a work study visa. Normally, you can apply three months before the start of your course, and will hear back with a decision on your visa within three weeks. Click here for processing times.

It costs £328 to apply for this visa from outside the UK. You will also need to pay the healthcare surcharge as part of your immigration application. Click here for more information about fees.

Click here for more information on your eligibility and the requirements for the work study program.

If you are a Commonwealth citizen and at least one of your grandparents was born in the UK, you can apply to work in the UK. Click here to learn more.

Please contact your nearest UK Embassy which can provide country-specific visa information and services.

Travel Arrangements

Caregivers normally pay their own travel expense to and from Britain and are asked to inform the family about traveling arrangements. Wherever possible, we recommend that the family meet them at the airport or station.

Families must provide caregivers with a letter of invitation. Caregivers traveling to the UK from non-EEC countries will be required to register with the Aliens Registration Office and pay a small fee shortly after arrival, if they are staying more than 6 months. In the Letter of Invitation the family should provide details of their family, expected caregiver duties, expected start date, free time and caregiver's pay rate. A daily work schedule with the hours of work outlined is a good idea.

Pocket Money

In the UK, the recommended salary is approximately £70 per week for 25 hours, this must be paid on a weekly basis to the Au Pair. Au Pairs staying with families in country areas who have to travel quite far to language classes should receive above the "standard" pocket money to offset the cost of bus or train fares to their classes. An Au Pair that works 35 hours or more, normally earns a minimum of £85 depending on the hours.

Police Registration

A student from a non EEC country must inspect their passport stamp on arrival as it may require that she reports to the Police at the Aliens Registration Office within seven days of their arrival, taking with them their passport, two passport sized photographs and a fee of approximately £34 (UK price). In England, Au Pairs from EEC countries need only apply for a permit of residence when they have been in England for almost six months and wish to remain longer. They must then obtain Form Eec1 from the local Job Center. Au Pairs are responsible for their own registration fee and should be advised of this at the time of invitation. Au pairs should check with their local Embassy or Consulate for the country to which they intend to go.

Language Tuition

Most Au Pairs wish to follow a language course, usually for a few hours 2-3 times a week. This may take the form of private lessons or group classes at a private language school or technical college. Au Pairs are responsible for their own fees, but it is extremely helpful of the family to assist them in finding the most suitable and convenient classes. Remember that the Au Pair's attendance at classes legally takes precedence over their work for you, but obviously it is sensible that the girls' classes are at a time that is convenient to the family, both from the point of view of them getting there and back and from the point of view of the cost of those classes to the Au Pair. For example, the Au Pair is responsible for their own fees but if the family wishes them to attend in the evenings or at non normal times it would only be right for the family to pay the extra cost between the basic morning or afternoon classes and those in the evening.

National Insurance & Health care

In the UK, this is not paid for an Au Pair. Most Au Pairs can be treated under the N.H.S., although caregivers from countries which do not have a reciprocal agreement with Great Britain should arrange for private cover before arriving in England.

How do I check their background?

GreatAuPair offers criminal and DMV background checks in over 300 countries. GreatAuPair can also provide reference checking services, yet we do recommend that you obtain at least two written references, preferably childcare references and call them to verify that they are genuine. Most caregivers can also obtain a police clearance in their country free of charge to show they have no criminal record.

It's always a good idea to also ask caregivers to obtain a medical certificate from their GP to say they are fit and healthy.


If your caregiver is to drive your car, it is important that you provide adequate insurance cover for them to do so. You should also check that they have a suitable driving license or permit for the country to which they intend to go. It might be a good idea to provide one or two driving lessons for the caregiver if they are apprehensive about driving in your country.