GreatAuPair - Where care providers and families click™. Child Care Jobs & Caregivers: Nanny, Babysitter, Au Pair, Pet Sitter, Housekeeping, Tutor, Personal Assistant and Senior Care.

Aupair Visa Norway - Au Pair Program in Norway

Norway's Aupair Program allows young people to increase their language ability and gain greater knowledge of Norway and Norwegian culture by living with a Norwegian family. In exchange for room, board and pocket money, they carry out tasks such as housework and child minding for their host family.

Separate rules apply for citizens of EU/EEA countries. (See below)

In order to obtain a work permit as an au pair in Norway, you must:

  • Be aged between 18 and 30
  • As a rule, not share the same nationality as anyone in the host family
  • Have a concrete offer of employment in the form of an employment contract signed by you and the host family before you apply
  • The permit must be granted prior to entry into Norway
  • The permit is valid for up to two years and does not constitute grounds for a permanent settlement permit.

Single people without children cannot be a host family. Host family's in Norway can not be related to their aupair. The family must speak Norwegian as a matter of course, and represent Norwegian culture.

If one or more of the host family members are of a foreign nationality or background, this should generally not be the same as yours. If one of the host parents is of the same nationality as you, they must have lived in Norway for at least 10 years. Families may only host one Aupair.

  • Norwegian host families will supply aupairs with their own room, free board and lodging, and at least NOK 4,000 per month in pay before taxes.
  • The position is taxable and must be taxed on income over the amount of the exemption card. This also applies to the receipt of board and lodging. For further information see
  • Aupair's in Norway must not exceed 5 working hours per day, and max 30 hours per week. You may not work more than 30 hours, even if you are paid extra.
  • Aupair's in Norway are entitled to holiday totaling 25 working days per calendar year and a minimum of 48 hours off per week (free period). The free period must, as far as possible, be continuous and never less than 24 hours.
  • Aupair's in Norway must be given the opportunity to take part in Norwegian language tuition and leisure activities. The host family is responsible for paying these language courses up to 6000 per year.
  • The host family must pay the insurance for you that covers repatriation / repatriation in case of death, illness or injury throughout the period you are an au pair in Norway. The host family cannot order the au pair to cover part or all of the sum deducted from salary / pocket money or other agreement for a refund.
  • With the permit as an au pair you cannot work as pure maid or nanny.
  • You cannot work for other employers or other host families than your host family, and you cannot combine work as an au pair with other work, neither paid nor free.
  • An au pair with a valid residence permit is automatically a member of the State.

How to apply for a work permit:

Applications must be submitted from your Country of Origin or another country where you have been legally resident for at least six months. The application must be submitted to your nearest Norwegian foreign service mission (embassy, consulate general).

In addition to a completed application form, you must include:

See the list of expected processing time of UDI

If you have further questions on this topic, please contact the nearest Norwegian embassy or consulate, the nearest police or the Information for Applicants.

Citizens of full European (EFTA, EEA) Member Countries are able to live and work in Norway without a visa or work permit for up to 3 months, 6 months if they are seeking employment. As of 1 October 2009, EEA Nationals (with the exception of Romanian and Bulgarian nationals) no longer need to apply for residence permits in Norway. It is sufficient that they register on arrival.

If you are a citizen of an EU / EEA / EFTA country, you no longer need to apply for a residence permit, but must submit an online registration at: For additional details see Right of residence.

Residents of the Schengan Areas- Work Visa's

Residents of Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden may be eligible for a Schengan Visa.



A student may work part-time for up to 20 hours per week when a work permit is granted. An application for a work permit should be accompanied by a statement from the institution confirming that the work will not affect the study progress. A letter from the employer stating that the student has a job offer must also be submitted.

Students are normally allowed to work full time during semester breaks. See this site for more information:

Working Holiday

Norway currently has working holiday agreements with Australia, Canada and New Zealand. Citizens of these countries can reside and work in Norway with a residence permit if they fulfill certain requirements.

You must:

  • Be at least 18 years of age and no older than 30 years of age at the time of application (for Canada, the age limit is up to 35).
  • Have sufficient funds to sustain yourself during the first three months of your stay in Norway. You must demonstrate this through a bank statement and/or a concrete offer of employment for the first part of the stay, providing income. The amount must be equivalent to NOK 90,800 for a period of ten months, equivalent to NOK 9,080 per month and NOK 27,240 for the first three months of stay in Norway.
  • Be in good health and document this by presenting a health certificate. You do not have to have received a direct job offer.

You are not eligible for a working holiday residence permit if you are travelling to Norway to study or receive other training for a period lasting more than three months.

For more information, see below:

Rules for Filipino's working in Norway

Filipino candidates are allowed to work in Norway as long as they meet POEA guidelines. They must be unmarried, between ages 18-30, and have no children. The au pair should also be enrolled in a school to learn the language of the host country. The aupair will live with the host family and be treated on an equal basis with other family members.

Employers are obliged to pay the cost of hiring a Filipino au pair, which includes visa fees, airfare, POEA processing fees, contribution for membership to the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, and the costs of training, if training is required by the employer.

Au pairs are required to pay for their passports, NBI clearances, birth certificates, medical tests, Philhealth insurance, and other personal documents.

Useful information for Filipino au pairs can be found at: