GreatAuPair - Where care providers and families click™. Child Care Jobs & Caregivers: Nanny, Babysitter, Au Pair, Pet Sitter, Housekeeping, Tutor, Personal Assistant and Senior Care.

Aupair Visa New Zealand - Au Pair Program in New Zealand

There are a number of different visa programs available in New Zealand. We recommend using the Visa option tool found here. Aupairs work between 30 and 35 hours per week and are paid between 150-180 NZD.

Working Holiday Schemes

Under the working holiday schemes, young citizens of approved countries may travel to New Zealand for a holiday and undertake employment during their stay.

To be eligible for a work visa and permit under these schemes, applicants must be between the ages of 18 and 30 years, and cannot be accompanied by children. They need to provide evidence of sufficient funds to purchase return travel, and meet the conditions of the particular scheme they are applying under, and apply on the correct Working Holiday Scheme Application Form (see also "Ability to apply in New Zealand" below).

Holders of such permits are not eligible to come to New Zealand for any further working holiday under the scheme, and must not undertake permanent employment unless they apply for and obtain a work permit.

As of July 2011:

  • There has been an increase in the number of working holidaymakers allowed into New Zealand.
  • There is no limit on the amount of allowable places from Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, The Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, the United Kingdom or the United States.
  • Your primary reason for visiting New Zealand must be holiday, work being your secondary reason for visiting.
  • New Zealand is allowing holidaymakers from the United Kingdom to stay for up to 23 months.
  • Participants of the Canada, Germany, Japan, Taiwan and the United Kingdom Working Holiday Schemes may undertake one or more courses of study as long as the total duration of all of the courses does not exceed six months.

Ability to change status

Once in New Zealand holders of such permits may, at any time during the duration of that permit, apply to change their status to that of:

  • A long-term temporary worker;
  • A student, or;
  • A resident, and will be considered under those immigration policies relevant to the type of permit applied for.

Many of these programs have limited quotas and may be filled a year in advance, so go to the Working Holiday link, and review your country's program rules.

There are currently agreements with:Argentina, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Chile, China, Czech, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong (SAR), Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Korea, Latvia, Malaysia, Malta, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Poland, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, Thailand, Turkey, United Kingdom, United States and Uruguay.

New Zealand Immigration laws - More information

Student visa information: Click here - If you don't intend to study or work, you can stay up to nine months on a visitor visa or permit.

  • There are backpackers/working holiday visas
  • BUNAC work/study visas.
  • Student visa programs. Requirements
  • Australian nationals can study in New Zealand without a visa or work permit.

Philippines Special Work Category

If you are a registered nurse from the Philippines, with a qualification that is equivalent to a New Zealand Bachelor of Nursing or Diploma in Comprehensive Nursing (diploma or hospital based certificate), you can apply for a work visa.

The New Zealand employer must provide an offer of employment for up to three years before you can apply. If you do not have an offer for three years, you can still apply, and extend your visa for the balance of the period as long as you still meet all of the requirements.

More information can be found here.

Work to Residence Programs

Work to Residence programs are available for those skilled in occupations on the Long Term Shortage list. This list includes:

  • Special Education Teachers
  • Nurse practitioners, Nurse Managers, Registered Nurses
  • Midwife's
  • And many other professionally trained positions. The full list is available here.

Skilled Migrant Category of Workers

Seasonal work in the areas of agriculture, horticulture and viticulture (grape-growing): Click here.