GreatAuPair - Where care providers and families click™. Child Care Jobs & Caregivers: Nanny, Babysitter, Au Pair, Pet Sitter, Housekeeping, Tutor, Personal Assistant and Senior Care.

Aupair Visa Netherlands - Au Pair Program in Netherlands

There are Working Holiday visa agreements for candidates from Australia, Canada, and New Zealand. Please contact the Netherlands embassy for the types of jobs eligible for this visa.

Who can come to the Netherlands as an au pair?

Anyone who is older than 18 but not yet 31 that wants to be an Au Pair to learn about Dutch society and culture. Qualified Au Pairs must meet the required conditions.

If you are an EU citizen, you do not need a visa to work in the Netherlands. After you have been here for three months, you should register with the IND (Immigration and Naturalization Service). When you register, you must provide documents to verify the purpose of your stay. After registering, you will receive proof of registration in the form of a sticker, which will be attached to your passport (or other proof of identity).

However, only a recognized au pair agency can submit an application on behalf of an au pair. Families and candidates can find their match through GreatAuPair, however, the family must use an agency recognized by the IND as the sponsoring agency. Click here to learn more.

General Conditions

  • The foreign national has a valid passport.
  • The foreign national must take out healthcare insurance in the Netherlands.
  • The foreign national has not given false information.
  • The foreign national must undergo a tuberculosis (TB) test in the Netherlands. Some nationalities do not have to undergo a TB test.

Special Conditions

If you wish to bring an au pair to the Netherlands for longer than 3 months, you must meet the following conditions:

  • Your family must consist of a minimum of 2 persons
  • You must support the au pair during his/her stay in the Netherlands
  • Au pair is registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (GBA)
  • Your family must have sufficient income to support the au pair and yourselves
  • Family must publish a daily schedule of duties

The au pair must have the following documents and meet the following conditions:

  • A valid passport
  • Health insurance that covers the au pair in the Netherlands
  • Cannot be married
  • Cannot have dependents or be responsible for the care of his/her family members
  • He/she does not constitute a risk to the public order
  • He/she must undergo a tuberculosis test in the Netherlands
  • He/she is over 18 but not older than 31
  • He/she has not previously stayed in the Netherlands on a residence permit
  • He/she did not previously work for your family abroad
  • He/she will only carry out light domestic work to assist your family
  • He/she will work a maximum of 8 hours per day and a maximum of 30 hours per week; you will have 2 days off per week


If you are a foreign student (non-EU/EEA/Swiss) and you have a valid residence permit for study, you can work while attending school. You can work full-time during the summer or up to ten hours a week during your school period. Under those restrictions your Dutch employer does need to apply for a work permit for you.

EU/EEA/Swiss nationals: You are free to work unlimited hours during your studies. Your employer does not need to have a work permit for you.

Bulgarian and Romanian nationals: The rules are a bit different for these nationals (at least until 2012). If you are a student from one of these countries you are allowed to work as many hours as you like alongside your studies. However, the employer does need a work permit and needs to show that there are no Dutch or EU/EEA/Swiss nationals capable of doing the job. This is a difficult process. Therefore, we advise you to work no more than ten hours per week outside the summer period, or full-time during the summer months June, July and August. If you adhere to these conditions, the process to obtain a work permit will be easier.