GreatAuPair - Where care providers and families click™. Child Care Jobs & Caregivers: Nanny, Babysitter, Au Pair, Pet Sitter, Housekeeping, Tutor, Personal Assistant and Senior Care.

Aupair Visa Japan - Au Pair Program in Japan

Working Holiday Programs

Working holiday visa programs allow you to do any type of work in Japan as long as your primary purpose is to spend your holiday in the country.

Work can be part-time or full-time but is only intended to supplement your funds to travel. More information can be found here.

Visa duration for citizens from Australia, Canada, and New Zealand is 6 months with an option to extend an additional 6 months. All other approved countries are issued a 1 year visa, with no option to extend.

Countries participating in the Japan Working Holiday visa program are:

  • Australia
  • Canada
  • Denmark
  • France
  • Germany
  • Hong Kong
  • Ireland
  • Korea
  • New Zealand
  • Taiwan
  • United Kingdom

To be eligible for the program candidates must be:

  • Must be a citizen/national of one of the above listed countries.
  • Must intend primarily to holiday in Japan for a specific length of time.
  • Must be between 18 and 30 years of age; 18-25 for Ireland and the UK.
  • Must possess a valid passport and a return ticket or sufficient funds to purchase a return ticket.
  • Must possess reasonable funds for living expenses, including medical expenses, during the period of the initial stay in Japan. For a single person, the minimum is US$2000 or equivalent amount of the national currency.
  • Must be in good health and not have a criminal record.
  • Ability to speak Japanese is desirable but not required.

Nurses or Caregivers from the Philippines

Filipino nurses and caregivers are allowed to work in Japan under the September 2006, EPA (Economic Partnership Agreement).

Filipino nurses or any Filipino who has a background in healthcare, who can speak Japanese and pass a nursing test is eligible for this free trade agreement. Prospective nurses will be allowed to come to Japan for four years, during which time they can take the nursing test as often as possible. If they fail to pass by the end of the four-year period, they have to leave.

Applicants are responsible for their application expenses, document submission/authentication, medical examination (P1,500 basic), and visa fees (P1,150).

Airfare and onsite training costs are covered by the employer or the Government of Japan.

Employment Process:

Applicants will undergo an aptitude test and interview by JICWELS (Japan International Corporation of Welfare Services) to facilitate their matching with employers.

They must pass the required medical examination to conclude the employment contract and to successfully qualify to enter Japan.

Prior to their actual work in Japan, the selected candidates shall undergo a six-month language and culture training, where they would receive an allowance of not less than 40,000 yen (or about P21,000) a month.

The language training will help them prepare to take the Japanese nursing licensure examination which should be taken no more than three times within three years for candidate-nurses.

Before obtaining the qualification as a full-fledged nurse in Japan, candidate-nurses shall work under the supervision of a Japanese Kangoshi (Male Nurse) to fully familiarize them with the Japanese system.

After passing the nursing licensure examination, the fully qualified nurse and certified caregiver shall now have the option to stay for an unlimited period in Japan to practice their profession based on new and upgraded employment contract with their employer.

Qualified applicants may apply directly at the POEA.

Student Visa

Students are not allowed to engage in any paid activities, unless they get permission from their school and the immigration office. Even then, students may work only a set maximum number of hours per week.

There are two types of student visa programs, pre-college student visas are 6 month to 1 year and college programs are 1-2 years.

Sponsorship from an educational institution in Japan and proof of sufficient funds to cover all your expenses during your stay are required to qualify for a student visa. Residence permission is granted in periods of six months, one year or two years and is extendable.