GreatAuPair - Where care providers and families click™. Child Care Jobs & Caregivers: Nanny, Babysitter, Au Pair, Pet Sitter, Housekeeping, Tutor, Personal Assistant and Senior Care.

Aupair Visa Finland - Au Pair Program in Finland

Au pair's residence permit

Anyone wishing to work in Finland as an au pair must apply for and receive a residence permit before entering Finland. Citizens of Nordic countries or the EU/EEA countries, are not required to obtain a residence permit.

Citizens of EU states, Iceland, Norway, Liechtenstein or Switzerland must register their right to reside in Finland, but they do not need a residence permit.

The Philippines does not permit its citizens to travel to Europe as au pairs, and they are advised not to apply for a residence permit for this purpose.

One set of documents will remain in the Embassy or Consulate and the other set will be sent to Finland to the Immigration Service. Thus to apply for residence permit for research purposes bring or send all the following documents to the Embassy or Consulate in duplicate:

  1. Fill in the Residence permit application for au pair status (OLE_AUP). The form can be downloaded from the Finnish Immigration Service website: Application forms. Application forms cannot be faxed, they must be the originals. In addition, remember to sign them.
  2. Two passport sized photos. The photos must follow the Passport Photo Guidelines issued by the police in June 2005. Size: 3,6 cm x 4,7 cm (1 3/8 inch x 1 7/8 inch), head: between 3,2 cm x 3,6 cm (1 1/4 inch to 1 3/8 inch). Incorrect pictures cannot be accepted.
  3. Valid passport or other travel document. Please, remember to sign your passport if it is required.
  4. The contract drawn up with the host family indicating the benefits the au pair will receive from the family and a clarification of the au pair's work tasks, working hours and days off. Benefits include the amount of remuneration to be paid after tax, travel compensation and living arrangements, e.g. a room of one's own.
  5. General health certificate, dated no more than three months previously.
  6. Certificate showing that you do not have a criminal record.
  7. Employment certificates or references from previous jobs (household work or child care).
  8. Certificates of previous studies (of Finnish or Swedish language and/or Finnish culture, history or politics) or clarification of interest in Finnish culture.
  9. Processing fee and possibly a postal fee.
  10. Embassy/Consulate may request additional documents, if needed.
  11. The purpose of an au pair position is to provide a young person (aged 17 to 30) an opportunity to become acquainted with the language and culture of the target country in exchange for performing light housework duties. The purpose of an au pair position is not to gain a household employee. Domestic servants must use the form OLE_TY1 to apply for a residence permit.

Time: The processing of a residence permit application of an au pair takes less than six months, in some cases only four months.

Pocket money: The au pair's pocket money has to be at least €252 net per month, and the family has to offer board and lodge. The Finnish host family shall enquire at the Finnish revenue board VERO how much salary the au pair should receive to ensure that the au pair receives €252 net per month.

Language course: The au pair is obliged to take part in a Finnish or Swedish language course during his/her stay to be able to apply for a residence permit. The family has to give the au pair the opportunity of attending a language course. But it is the family's decision whether they pay for it.

Travel costs: Travel costs have to be paid for by the au pair, but many families choose to pay a part of these costs. It is also common practice to provide the au pair with a monthly ticket for local public transportation.

Work hours: Normal work hours are 30 hours per week, 5 hours per day. Aupairs are entitled to at least one entire day off per week. Each month at least one of the days off must fall on a Sunday.

The Immigration Service will process your application. The process cannot be started until all paperwork and payment is received. It is not advisable to make any final travel arrangements, particularly purchase of non-refundable air tickets for specific date, prior to approval of your application.

Click here for more information.

Working Holiday

Finland has Working Holiday Agreements with Australia and New Zealand that allow people from these countries between the ages of 18 and 30 to live and work in Finland for up to a year.

For more information on the Working Holiday Programs, click the links below:


Persons who have a residence permit granted on the basis of studying may work if the work consists of practical training, research or diploma work as part of a degree. During the semester, you are able to work up to 25 hours part-time on a weekly basis. During holidays and summer break, you can work full-time without hourly restrictions.

Click here for more information on studying in Finland.