GreatAuPair - Where care providers and families click™. Child Care Jobs & Caregivers: Nanny, Babysitter, Au Pair, Pet Sitter, Housekeeping, Tutor, Personal Assistant and Senior Care.

Aupair Visa Denmark - Au Pair Program in Denmark

Aupairs can be granted a residence permit to work for host families in Denmark. Nordic citizens are free to live, work or study in Denmark. EU/EEA citizens and Swiss citizens are subject to special regulations found here.

There are programs for aupairs, working for retired pensioners and Working Holiday visa programs.

Aupair requirements for obtaining a residence permit:

  • Must be able to speak and understand either Danish, Swedish, Norwegian, English or German
  • The au pair must be between 17 and 29 years of age.
  • A written contract must be drafted between the host family and the au pair (and the au pair's parents, if the applicant is under 18). The Danish Immigration Service has drafted a standard contract which must be used.
  • You may not be married or have children.
  • You may not have previously held a Danish residence permit or had two or more au pair stays in other Western European countries.
  • You may not have the same nationality as one or more members the host family.
  • You may not be related to one or more members of the host family.

Host family conditions:

  • The au pair must receive at least DKK 3,050 per month in pocket money from the host family.
  • The au pair must receive free food and lodging in the host family's home.
  • The au pair's daily working hours must not exceed 5 hours and the weekly working hours not exceed 30 hours. The au pair must have at least one day off per week.
  • There must be at least one underage child living in the home of the host family, and the au pair must be able to assume a familiar status within the family.
  • As a rule, at least one of the parents in the host family must be a Danish citizen. However, this does not apply if the parents are EU citizens residing in Denmark under the EU regulations on free movement, or if they are foreign nationals who have lived in Denmark for a long time and have a strong attachment to Denmark.
  • Your host family must pay your trip home if you are a resident of a country outside Europe.
  • Your host family must take out three types of insurance covering you: insurance for work-related injuries, insurance covering leisure time and accidents, and insurance covering the costs of you returning to your homeland in case of death or serious illness or accident.
  • Special rules for au pairs applying for residence permits

    An au pair is eligible for a residence permit, but not a work permit. An au pair may not seek paid or unpaid work in addition to those tasks set by the host family.

    The au pair job is nevertheless regarded as an employer/employee relationship, and is therefore subject to Danish labour vacation legislation as well as Danish tax laws. The municipal tax office in the host family's local municipality can answer any questions regarding taxation. Questions regarding vacation laws should be directed to Feriekontoret (the Vacation Office?), Finsensvej 78, 2000 Frederiksberg, tel. 38 14 84 84 (telephone service hours: Monday-Thursday 12-15, Friday 12-14).

    How long are residence permits issued for?

    An au pair is eligible for a residence permit for a maximum of 24 months and never longer than the duration of the au pair contract.

    If an au pair applies for an extension of his or her residence permit, he or she is permitted to continue residing as an au pair during the Danish Immigration Service's examination of the application, provided this work continues under the same conditions and with the same host family. The contract between the au pair and the host family must also be extended and submitted together with the application. An au pair may not begin working with a new host family until the Danish Immigration Service has granted permission.

    Work as Domestic servant for retired couples

    It is possible to be an au pair with a retired couple. Both must be pensioners. It is a requirement that chores are related to the daily running of the household and that you do not take on responsibilities related to personal care, elder care or sick care for members of the host family.

    Working Holiday

    Denmark has made working holiday agreements with:

    • Argentina
    • Australia
    • Canada
    • Chile
    • Japan
    • New Zealand
    • South Korea

    The working holiday program allows young to get a residence permit to stay in Denmark for up to a maximum of 12 months. You must be between the ages of 18 and 30 to apply (Canada is 18-35).

    The primary purpose of your stay must be holiday, but you may work during your stay in order to earn supplementary funds to support yourself. You are allowed to work, study or take a training course for a limited number of months during a 12-month stay.

    You can find additional information on Working holiday visa programs for your country here.

    Greencard Scheme

    Candidates up to age 40 who have degrees in higher education, may be eligible for the Greencard Scheme for positions in Caregiving. Read more.

    Filipino candidates are allowed to work in Denmark as long as they meet POEA guidelines. They must be unmarried, between ages 18-30, and have no children. The au pair should also be enrolled in a school to learn the language of the host country. The aupair will live with the host family and be treated on an equal basis with other family members.

    Employers are obliged to pay the cost of hiring a Filipino au pair, which includes visa fees, airfare, POEA processing fees, contribution for membership to the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration, and the costs of training, if training is required by the employer.

    Au pairs are required to pay for their passports, NBI clearances, birth certificates, medical tests, Philhealth insurance, and other personal documents.