GreatAuPair - Where care providers and families click™. Child Care Jobs & Caregivers: Nanny, Babysitter, Au Pair, Pet Sitter, Housekeeping, Tutor, Personal Assistant and Senior Care.

Aupair Visa Italy - Au Pair Program in Italy

Program requirements

The Italian Government changed its immigration law in June 2004 such that Italian families are currently allowed to hire only nationals from EU countries to serve as their aupair or nanny. EU nationals can work or study in Italy as long as they like, with a passport. But they are required to register with the police for residence. Au pairs earn pocket money of 60-70 €'s/wk for 30 hrs work, up to 80-100 €'s/wk for 40 hrs of work.

There are limited visa options for non-EU citizens. For the most up to date visa information go to: or contact the Italian embassy in your country.

Subordinate employment

This visa is used for domestic workers, home-care givers, translators, interpreters and nurses. The visa is to be issued pending issuance of the "nulla osta" (entry clearance), to be requested by the employer.

The "Sportello Unico" (Unified Immigration Desk) will provide for the Nulla Osta (entry clearance) and the "contratto di soggiorno per lavoro" (job contract) to be sent to the Diplomatic Representation.


Nationals of the following countries do not require a visa for visits not to exceed 90 days, for purposes of study, business, mission work, tourism or sporting events. However you are not allowed to work entering the country on your passport.

Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Brazil, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Costa Rica, Croatia, El Salvador, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Guatemala, Honduras, Hong Kong, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, Macao, Mauritius, Mexico, Monaco, Montenegro, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Northern Marianas, Panama, Paraguay, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Serbia*, Seychelles, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan (non-recognized territorial entity), United States, Uruguay, Venezuela.

None of the "official" Student visa programs can be used for candidates who want to live and work in Italy. The student visas are restricted to:

  • Technical and professional instruction beyond the level of compulsory education
  • Religious novitiate/training
  • Study grants (awarded by Italian government)
  • Admission to Italian Universities

Work Vacation - Australia, Canada & New Zealand

There are work vacation programs for nationals of: Australia, Canada and New Zealand. These are 12 month visa programs, which require the candidate to apply for a resident permit within 8 days of their arrival in Italy. You may not work more than 3 months with the same employer and can only work a total of 6 months during your 12 month stay.

Visa age limits are:

  • Australians 18-30
  • Canadians 18-35
  • New Zealanders 18-30.

Nationals are not eligible for a Permesso di Soggiorno (residence permit) unless they arrive with the appropriate visa from the Italian embassy in their country. See rules for your country at: